Saturday, September 7, 2013

You Might Be a Musical Theatre Geek If...


...Some people hum "Music of the Night," but you hum "Final Lair."  In its entirety.


...You can tell the difference between Gary Morris and John Owen-Jones without checking to see which version of "Who Am I?" is playing on Pandora.


...You can properly pronounce all five of Tevye's daughters' names.


...When you enter a theatre (or even a school auditorium) you sigh with delight and immediately consider yourself part of the furniture.


...When people speak of Shark Week, you think of a Puerto Rican street gang, not sharp-toothed sea creatures.


...You're listing all the adaptations of Les Miserables and you say, "Oh, right, and there was some movie made in 1998 without any singing, too."


...You are well acquainted with the weather tendencies in the plains of Spain and in Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire.


...You know all the von Trapp kids' names and ages, in order.


...Approximately 75% of the songs on your iPod are show tunes.  Is there a problem?


...You know how to spell "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."


...Most people dream of meeting A-list movie stars, but you make up elaborate imaginary scenarios in which you manage to procure Hadley Fraser's autograph.


...You have heated arguments with friends over Eddie Redmayne vs. Michael Ball (and they know better than to get you started on the Nick Jonas issue).


...You pronounce Uncle Tom's Cabin as "Small House of Uncle Thomas."


...You affirm that Christopher Rupert Wyndermeer Vladimir Carl Alexander Francois Reginald Lancelot Herman Gregory James beats boring old "Charming" any day.


...You have to bite your tongue to keep yourself from saying, "It's GAlinda. With a Ga." when you hear people talking about The Wizard of Oz.


...You maintain that "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair" is a million times better than "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" (unless Aaron Tveit is singing the latter, in which case all bets are off).


...To you, a xylophone is so much more than a mere musical instrument.


...There is a show tune lyric for every single situation in life ("to life, to life, l'chaim!")-- and if you can't think of one in a hurry, "AND I'M JAVERT!" will suffice.  


...You know what the simple folk do to help them escape when they're blue.


...Your dream vacation spot is New York City-- specifically, the theatre district.  Duh.

... You spell it as "theatre" instead of "theater" because it looks more cultured that way.

... You know better than to sit under the chandelier at a show.

... You've read all the way to the end of this post without getting bored.

... You let out a squeal when you come to the last point in this post and discover that all this musical theatre blah-de-blah is leading up to the announcement that Miss Dashwood is hosting a Celebrate Musicals week from September 23-28, and more details will be along on Monday.  Two more dawns, two more days, two days more...

22 comments:

Christina L said...

In spite of the fact that I don't know most of these musicals very well, and many of them not at all, I highly enjoyed this post! The only one that really applies to me was the Sound of Music one, and that's because I played Louisa locally this summer!
Can't wait for next week to start! That's an awesome idea!
Christina
Idlewildcl.blogspot.com

Melody said...

Bahahaha, well, the last point cannot be tested because I already knewwww. *feels special but then feels obnoxious and wipes smirk off of face*

Ahem.

Okay. Let's see. Did any of these apply to me.
Well, as you know, I'm kind of into final Lair. *cough cough* I've never tried to hum it in its entirety, however. Buuut I wouldn't be too surprised if it proved to be possible. ;D

Well, I've always loved theaters (and I'm very uncultured :P) and auditoriums anyways... that could apply to a Classical Music Geek too, y'know. ;D

YES! The weather tendencies one totally got me. Yep yep yep. ;D

My dad doesn't even need show tunes to have a song lyric for every single situation in life. *long grumbly sighhhhhhh*
:P
But I do tend to have show tune lyrics pop into my head when people say stuff now. Heh, heh, heh. And then I just stand there giggling. ;D

The chandelier one MMLOL.

Well, I DID read to the end of the post without getting bored. ARE YOU PROUD OF ME?
Hahahaha.

And I didn't get all the references but I think I at least somewhat got pretty much all of them. More than you might expect. ;)

Looking forward to the details...

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

*PROLONGED SQUEAL ACCOMPANIED BY CLAPPING, CHEERING AND JUMPING UP AND DOWN*

According to this, I don't qualify as a musical theater geek QUITE yet. There are some of these that do not apply to me. YET. (I've only been in 'training' in watching/listening to musicals since last June.)

SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THE UPCOMING EVENT!!!!!

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Completely epic in every way. :D Can't wait for Celebrate Musicals Week! :)

Alexandra said...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, to all of the above, forever and ever, amen.

Also a certain gif made me happy, happy, happy. Plus I was listening to CD clips from certain CD that is soon to debut so I was in a curly-toed mood. As in toes curling, not...oh, well.

And last but not least, HURRAHHHHH!!!! Definitely being a part of this glorious occasion!!!

S.K. said...

Oh, I ticked 'yes' for so many of these! I do love my theatre. : )
Just wondering, have you ever seem the 25th anniversary concert of 'Phantom of the Opera' AKA the best version? I reviewed it on my blog not that long ago, but I'd love to hear your take on it - and all other things POTO!

Hannah said...

Ha, I love this post!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! That seals it, then. I'm a musical theatre geek. : D I agreed with each and every one of these!! HA! (The only one I would add is that whenever someone criticizes something about you, like when someone said my feet were too white the other day, you say, "Well. We can't all come and go by bubble.")

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! I will SO be there!

-Eowyn-

Miss Jane Bennet said...

LOVE THIS!!! I cannot wait until your blog party starts- is it weird that I started singing, "I did not live until today" as soon as I saw your "two more dawns..." thing? :D
Awesome list- I'd say it fits me pretty well. :)

Anonymous said...

The Music Man should be mentioned somewhere!
~JT

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! *fangirly squeal*

I love musicals! I haven't seen Les-Mis yet... but The Sound of Music, The King and I, Cinderella, Oklahoma!... yeah, mostly Rodgers and Hammerstein.

~Robyn Hoode

Éowyn said...

I am so excited! I just recently discovered musical opera for the first time, in the form of "The Phantom of the Opera" and I am now a total Phan:) Thank you for putting this party together

Eowyn

Anonymous said...

Me reading this:
Guilty...
Guilty again...
Guilty...
Guilty...
Oh, what a surprise: GUILTY.
:P

I must be a musical theatre geek.

Can't wait for your event, Chauvie dear!

Ruby Danderfluff said...

Musicals Week?!?!

MUSICALS WEEK??!?!?!?!

(Oh, and hi, Amy! I'm sorry I haven't found occasion to introduce myself before. I've been following your blog for upward of a year, now (pathetic right? Just NOW introducing myself?), and have been ecxeedingly diverted. What a loverly blog!)

I repeat... MUSICALS WEEK??!?!?!

Yes... Precious. We likes it.

Kirsten Fichter said...

75%.... so true. And you have most of the songs memorized, including the singers' names, and the year when they made the film adaption. *cough*

Yes, yes. It's a talent. Although, I still have to sing it AS I spell it, otherwise it gets messed up.

Ohhh, yesss... don't even bring up NJ... :P

"Small House of Uncle Thomas".... HAHAHA! Love it!!!

There *IS* a show tune for everything!! It is a truth universally acknowledged!!!

Nope, not bored. Rather quite the opposite...

WHAT?!?! Celebrate Musicals week!!! I'll be here!!!!! Do we get bonus points if we sing along? ;)

Melody said...

But wait... your dream vacation spot is England... iiiisn't it? *gasp* Wait, I don't think I ever HAVE heard you say that...

Emma Jane said...

Hehee, I can hum "Final Lair" in its entirety. As a matter of interest, I actually know all the words. Except on my soundtrack it's called "Down Once More/Track Down This Murderer". Yup, yup.
These were vastly amusing, Miss Dashwood! Except aren't y'all forgetting the older musicals, like Hello, Dolly! and Meet Me in St. Louis? Those are my two personal favorites. Anyway, I would love to participate in your musicals week! It sounds vastly entertaining!

Wait just a moment....Aaron Tveit sings "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"? What madness is that? : P

~Emma

Elizabeth said...

Yes, yes, and yes to nearly everyone of these! :P

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

A Celebrate Musicals Week? I'm in!!!

Ginny@RandomActsofMomness said...

Fun post! I used to listen to my musical records (yes, records) over and over in middle school and high school. My music comes in a different format now, but oh, how I still love a good showtune!

I'd add that you know you're a musical geek when you can sing all of "Trouble" from "The Music Man" without messing up a single word.

Cassandra Noelle said...

This list is so me, it's crazy, I'm a theatre geek for sure. (and now I can't say "for sure" without saying it in a Brooklyn accent from Newsies...) ;)

Anonymous said...

I do most of these :D

am i the only one who got the oliver reference?