Friday, May 18, 2012

Family Tag!

Rachel and Sarah are hosting a delightfully fun blog event over at Our Family View from Us Two.



1. What are some of your family's favorite phrases, exclamations, or sayings?

We have a LOT of these.  Movie lines predominate, of course, and some of our favorites include...

"Why do I not have a surprised feeling?'
"SQUIRREL!"
"Nobody told ME..."
"I'm packing you your angry eyes. JUST IN CASE."
"But it's a TALKING DOG!"
"Eh, at precisely 8:32 AM... ish..."
"...my esteemed patroness, Lady.  Catherine.  de Bourgh."
"Somebody pinched it, and what *I* say is, them as pinched it done her in."
"Just a little too... ah... pink."
"Uncle Ned.  Is dead."
"Sparkler? BE quiet."
"Sha-ZAY-um."
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."
"Fly! Fly! We must fly! -No, no, DON'T fly!"
"You know what that means! -Yes, it means I'm free... -NO."
"AND there's a DOOR PRIZE."
"I may be mean, but I make up for it by bein' real healthy."
"Ooh-OOOH-ooh."
"Hold my fin, HOLD MY FIN... -Amy, you're not going to freak out like you did at the petting zoo, are you? -Hey, that snail was about to CHARGE."
"Have fun stormin' da castle! -Think it'll work? -It would take a miracle.  -Bye-byyyyyeeee..."

(Now, can you identify all those quotes? :D Family members of Miss Dashwood aren't allowed to play.)

2. What's the number of boys to girls in your family?

One boy, four girls.  He holds his own quite nicely, thankyouverymuch.  Or perhaps I should say we hold our own...

3. What is your favorite tradition your family has?

We like going for long bike rides in the summer--we have a bike rack that we attach to the back of our 12-passenger van and put four bikes on that and three in the back of the van.  We also have a habit of singing (loudly) on long (or short) car trips.  "Shall we dance? (ONE TWO THREE AND!) On a bright cloud of music shall we fly?"

4. What do you call the midday meal at your house?

Food.

5. Is the majority of your family morning people or night owls?

Heehee.  Depends on who you're asking.  I sometimes think I would rather be a night owl, but in general we are a set of early birds.

6. What is your favorite vacation location?

We like Disney World. :P  As far as realistic goes, we often take day trips to a lake an hour away in the summer (I'm not being too specific here because I don't think the Internet needs to know where I live).

7. Are your family's weekends usually full of activities such as sports, parties, and outings, or are they more of around the house, fix-it-uppers?

It really depends on the weekend.  I'd say it's an even distribution of both.  We do a lot of cleaning on Saturdays, plus cooking and preparing for the Lord's Day, but we often do have other stuff going on.

8. What is the nationality/ies your family comes from? (i.e. Scotch, Russian, etc)

Irish and German predominantly, with some English, possibly Scotch and Lithuanian thrown in the mix.

9. Do you go away for holidays, or celebrate at home?

We traditionally go to my paternal grandmother's for Thanksgiving and my maternal grandmother's for Christmas, and frequently have a New Year's get-together at our house for my mom's side of the family.

10. How did your parents meet?

In high school-- they had mutual friends, and sang in the choir together and participated in the school's theater group.  They dated all through college and graduate school, got married in 1991, and as they say the rest is history.  Today happens to be their 21st wedding anniversary, so it's quite fitting for me to answer this question.  :D Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!

9 comments:

Melody said...

Maybe I should just say which ones I CAN'T identify because I CAN identify a lot of them. :P (Okay, there were actually 6 I couldn't. But that's beside the point.)
Hahahahaha, the "pinched it" one has become a quote around here, too. :D

You don't think the Internet needs to know where you live... hahahaha.

Irish and Germen predominantly... HAHAHA MEE TOOOOO. Maybe we're the long-lost King cousins. (Haha--random Avonlea paraphrase.)

Aww! Tell your parents Happy Anniversary from meeee! (If you want to. :P)

Alexandra said...

Wasn't this tag fun?!

HMMM! Let's see.

-Up
-Up
-Anne of GG
-Toy Story 2
-Up
-ACK! I know this one...
-Duh. :-P P&P
-My Fair Lady
-Sound of Music (one of our favorites!!! - the line, I mean)
-Little Dorrit
-ditto
-Andy Griffith Show
-Princess Bride
-Oh, ACK!!!! I know this one, too...
-Les Miz - ha! Another one we always do. :-P
-Andy Griffith, isn't it?
-ditto. One of my favorite characters. :-P
-Toy Story
-Finding Nemo
-Princess Bride

ANNNNDDD...happy anniversary to your parents!!!

"Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappy Anniversary!"

Julia Rogers said...

RANDOM!! ....
Since this is an informative post would you mind telling me what "branch" ie..Baptist, Methodist.Presbyterian etc. of Christian you guys are?

Julia said...

Such a FUN post. I might have to do this. :D

By the way, Miss Amy, My family and I watched Little Dorrit, having finally (FINALLY) found a copy at a farther-away libraray still in our system. It was great! I loved Arthur and Amy! You were so right, Matthew Macfadyen was so much better here than in the '05 P&P. My brothers thought Pancks was the best character in the whole movie. :D (For yes, they watched the whole thing with me). :D
Oh, John Chivery! *sniff* I finally understand! He gave Arthur Mr. Dorrit's room!? Selfless!

Rigeaud was so scary that we were relieved to see (via the bonus featurette) that he's actually just a normal human being, and an English one at that. :D

Anyways, I'll quit gushing, just thought you might be interested!

AND- I know most of those quotes! But time is short and I cannot stay to say which! :D

TTFN, ta-ta-for-now,
Julia

Jessica said...

I recognize quite a few of the quotes, my favorite being the one by Earnest T Bass. He cracks me up...as if anyone would want him to be healthy and live a long life. HAHA

Sarah said...

:D Thanks so much for linky up, Amy! I loved your answer to #1. :D
-Sarah

Lizzy said...

Hi Amelia, I awarded you over at my blog!
~Lizzy~

S.K. said...

Hello, I've awarded you too! If you don't want all three awards, can I have one? (Just joking!)

Melanie said...

That's such a neat way for your parents to meet/get to know each other. Very sweet.