Thursday, February 16, 2012

Quotes of the Week 19

I can't do it.  I simply can't do it.  This nonsensically long-winded girl can't restrain herself enough to post just one favorite quote per week.  It simply can't be done.  So Quote of the Week is changing a little.  Instead of posting just one favorite quote, I'll post three or four, with accompanying pictures and a comment or two. Then at the end I'll post one mystery quote, and it will be up to you to guess where that mystery quote comes from.  Make sense?

(At this point you are supposed to say, "As if it were crystal clear... my dear!")


When people speak of great men, they think of men like Napoleon - men of violence. Rarely do they think of peaceful men. But contrast the reception they will receive when they return home from their battles. Napoleon will arrive in pomp and in power, a man who's achieved the very summit of earthly ambition. And yet his dreams will be haunted by the oppressions of war. William Wilberforce, however, will return to his family, lay his head on his pillow and remember: the slave trade is no more.
~Lord Charles Fox, Amazing Grace (2006)

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who burst into unashamed sobs at this point in the movie... doesn't just reading this quote give you chills?)



Gilbert Blythe: Anne Shirley. What in heck are you doing here?
Anne Shirley: [with great dignity] Fishing. For lake trout.
Gilbert Blythe: [skeptically] For lake trout?
Anne Shirley: Mm-hmm.
~Anne of Green Gables (1985)

(This scene never ceases to make me laugh my head off.  I think I've seen it at least a dozen times, and it does NOT get old.)

Apologies for picture quality... I took this screencap myself and am not good at it yet...

Sir Percy Blakeney: Odd's fish, m'dear, the man can't even tie his own cravat.
Marguerite St. Just Blakeney: Really, Percy.  Is that all you can think about? Why aren't you the kind of man a woman can look up to, and turn to in trouble?
Sir Percy Blakeney: Trouble, m'dear? Are you... in trouble?
~The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)

(That sound you heard? That was me slamming my head against the wall.  YES, SHE'S IN TROUBLE, PERCY. Stop being an idiot and do something about it! She's your wife, not Mrs. Robespierre, for crying out loud! Percy, I dislike you temporarily! ... But this scene still makes me melt anyway.)

"From little _____, with her fondest love to her dear Uncle ____." There is no objection, I admit, to an aunt being a small aunt, but why an aunt, no matter what her size may be, should call her own nephew her uncle, I can't quite make out.
~The Mystery Quote 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Amazing Grace quote is my FAVORITE!!! No, you aren't the only one who cries. I cry very hard! Especially when it shows WW's face.

Hmmmm...I blush to admit I don't know what the mystery quote is! =P

Hayden said...

The Anne quote...hilarious. It is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie.

The mystery quote? Hilarious- from the Importance of Being Earnet, said by Algernon :)

Abby said...

I don't recognise the mystery quote, but it sounds very Oscar Wilde-esque to me, or something like that! Something about it reminds me of his style - this will be embarrassing if I'm entirely off the mark :')
Oh, and I love that part from TSP! It's always been one of my favourites - even though it is frustrating!

~Abby

Anonymous said...

Algy to Jack ~The Importance of Being Earnest

Alexandra said...

Love all the quotes! Especially...you know. I'm always like, JUST DO IT, PERCY!!!!!!!!! Sigh, that boy. Anyway.

And I *always* cry on that scene. Especially when he looks up at Barbara. LOVE their relationship.

And the mystery quote is from The Importance of Being Earnest. :-)

Melody said...

"Nonsensically long-winded girl"? WHERE have I heard that phrase before....

I've seen that scene much MORE than a dozen times, and it STILL makes me laugh. AoGGForever! haha

It's St. Just?? Seriously???? Can't they just say things the way they sound?
Those Frenchies. ;-)

Love the note you put after that quote.
(Do YOU have a headache now? o.O)
I like it when you dislike Sir Percy temporarily because then I'm not alone. ;-)
Temporarily. Of course.

You just HAD to chuse a mystery quote that I wouldn't know...

Miss Dashwood said...

Payton,
Ooh, yes, glad to hear you do it too. :) I know, I think the fact that he's crying too is what makes me cry so hard. Though I do like crying in a movie, if it's for a good reason. :)

Hayden,
Yep, you're right about the mystery quote! :) Have you seen either of the movies?

Anne-girl,
You guessed it right away, eh? Why do I not have a surprised---
Sorry. I'll stop.

Alexandra,
And when SHE looks down at HIM... aww, Barbara is probably my favorite character in the whole entire movie. She is literally the perfect wife. Brilliant and encouraging and clever and a good listener and provides great feedback and is the ultimate helpmeet... yep. ;)
Yes indeed, it's from Being Earnest.

Melody,
CANNOT imagine, but proberly it was said by someone very wise, a very long time ago. ;)
AoGGForever? Is that like P&P95Forever?
Yep, it's St. Just, despite how I love to write it as Sahn Zhoost. :P You loved the note I put after that quote, eh? What is it those Frenchies say? Tou-che? You see you're a bit of a poet, and you did not know it, what?
All right, all right, next time I'll choose one you'll be sure to know. ;)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Ha! Nonsensical long-winded girl, I love this idea! :)

*reads Amazing Grace quote* Yep! I got chills! It is a great part of the movie!

Anne Shirley is the best! I love that scene too! "It's so romantic!" haha! :)

Poor Marguerite! I can't help loving Sir Percy anyway. :)

EARNEST! I adore The Importance of Being Earnest and Alernon Moncrief always makes me laugh! "Little Cecily" to "dear Uncle Jack". Love that quote! :D

Livia Rachelle said...

I did not find Percy at fault in this scene-after all he asked her if she was in trouble, and she LIED! I was furious with both of them throughout part of the movie for not coming out with their problems and being so presumptuous about each others actions and thoughts. Marguerite always drove me nuts in the books; she is such a moron and does not deserve Percy.

Oh, and could you hide the comments like for a week please until everyone can guess at the mystery quote? Pretty please? I would have known that quote though.

S.K. said...

Yay!! I love that scene in 'The Importance of Being Earnest'! Blanks-'Cecily' & 'Jack', said by Algernon Moncrieff
Maybe you could do a movie review...please?

Diana said...

Then the fact is...I've rescued you.

Help was on the way, and I was calmly waiting for it!

Miss Dashwood said...

Abby,
(Sorry I missed your comment earlier!) It was indeed Oscar Wilde--from "The Importance of Being Earnest", namely. Isn't his style of writing hysterical?

Miss Laurie,
I stole the nonsensically long-winded girl thing from Melody, because that's what she once called herself to me. :)
"Don't ever mention the word romance to me again, Jane Andrews!"

Rachel Olivia,
Ooh, well, I can't say I'd call Marguerite a moron in the books---she drove me nuts at first but I came to like and respect her more and more as the story went on. But I agree, they both should have been much more open with each other.

Sarah,
I'm hoping to do an "Importance of Being Earnest" movie review quite soon!

Diana,
"Oh. I see."
"Would you be so kind as to row me to the landing?"

Miss Dashwood said...

Oh, and Rachel Olivia, I'm not sure about hiding the comments for a week---you definitely have a point, but you see I already had 24 unmoderated comments sitting in my dashboard from the Period Drama Dresses game. So maybe I'll hide the comments next week when I don't have another game going on at the same time.